How is the UK dealing with Social Distancing?
Here at Proinsight, we did some research about where consumers feel safest?
What we discovered
· 59% supermarket customers not following on social distancing
· 50% of petrol stations failing on sanitation
· Signage key to customers feeling safe
Leading mystery shopper and consumer research company Proinsight is calling for action after a survey of 3, 200 UK shoppers revealed how consumers and retailers are falling short of government COVID guidelines.
The survey undertaken in partnership with the Mystery Shopping Professionals Association [MSPA] from July 7th to 21st included questions on sanitisation, signage, social distancing and PPE.
Key findings included:
· Petrol stations (50%) and pharmacies (39%) were failing to provide sanitation.
· 92% of shops had clear signage.
· 33% of staff in supermarkets are failing to observe social distancing.
· 59% off customers in supermarkets are failing to observe social distancing.
· Only 55% of customers across sectors are observing social distancing.
· Automotive dealers score lowest (63%) on PPE for staff.
The survey also revealed that of all the safety measures, shoppers feel safest when customers socially distance (98%) and most vulnerable (unsafe) when there is a lack of signage (64%). Safety is also a factor in driving recommendations with only 57% of customers likely to recommend outlets with no safety measures in contrast to 93% when all safety measures are met.
David Hopkins, Managing Director of Proinsight, said: “This report shows three things: too many outlets across a number of sectors are failing at basic COVID safety; that we are failing ourselves as customers, by not observing social distancing when shopping; and that insights in to our behaviour are critical for us to adapt accordingly. And adapt we must.”
How Do Our Shoppers Feel?
One of our awesome shoppers, Siobhan, went on Radio 5 to talk about her experiences as a mystery shopper prior and post Covid. Discussing how shopping has changed but mystery shopping hasn’t, to listen to this please click here.
We offer Covid compliant mystery shops, if you want to ensure your facilities are safe to be in please leave you details here and we’ll be in touch.
Hope you’re staying positive and testing negative!